Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Review: Shadows by Jennifer L. Armentrout

#DaemonInvasion is in full swing and I thought what better time could there be than to post my reviews for both Shadows and Obsidian. Today I am starting with Shadows and Obsidian will follow sometime in the next few days.






 Goodreads description:

The last thing Dawson Black expected was Bethany Williams. As a Luxen, an alien life form on Earth, human girls are…well, fun. But since the Luxen have to keep their true identities a secret, falling for one would be insane.

Dangerous. Tempting. Undeniable.

Bethany can’t deny the immediate connection between her and Dawson. And even though boys aren’t a complication she wants, she can’t stay away from him. Still, whenever they lock eyes, she’s drawn in.

Captivated. Lured. Loved.

Dawson is keeping a secret that will change her existence...and put her life in jeopardy. But even he can’t stop risking everything for one human girl. Or from a fate that is as unavoidable as love itself.



Shadows is a Lux Prequel Novella and was first published in e-book format on February 20th, 2012 by Entangled Publishing

When I first heard about the Lux series, I wasn't sure whether I should read the books or not. The whole alien aspect threw me off a little bit because I started thinking of little green men, or something along those lines, anyway. I know, I know...

Needless to say, I pushed all my thoughts and doubts aside, and started reading, and I am so unbelievably happy I did. Jennifer L. Armentrout found a perfect way to portray the beings from out of space. Usually, when you think of aliens, you think about scary things and possible war and destruction. Not so here. Any normal person can't even tell them apart from ordinary humans. They are not out to get us - at least not all of them, some might be. Obviously, everything has to be very secretive as to not cause a mass hysteria which would probably happen if it were brought to light.

Speaking of light, I love the idea that Luxen are consumed by light - they are light. It is so fascinating to imagine it. Incredible!

The main focus in this story lies on Dawson Black, who is an alien and brother of Dee and Daemon - they are triplets, can you believe it? - and Bethany Williams, a human girl.

It is love at first sight for the two of them, but having a relationship and keeping the Luxen a secret, is not very easy to do. Dawson is very romantic and will do anything for Bethany, even if it means going against his family and friends. In doing so, he is not only putting himself and his kin at risk, but also the girl he loves, because where there is light, there is also darkness...

I devoured this book in no time, I just couldn't get enough of it. The whole idea of Luxen is so unique and intriguing, you can't help but continue reading until you have reached the very last word on the very last page. Even then, you will want more and more and more.

My rating: 5 out of 5 stars

This wouldn't be a review without a few of my favorite passages, so here you go:

Dawson about Bethany:

"Holy crap, she was...she was beautiful.

And he knew beautiful. Their race had won the genetic roulette when they adopted human forms, but the way this girl's elfin features were pieced together was absolute perfection."

****

Bethany about Dawson's eyes:

"And those eyes, they were...wow. A vibrant, untarnished green that reminded her of fresh spring grass. Those peepers were something else.

If she'd known this before, she would've begged her parents to move here a hell of a lot sooner just for the eye candy."

*****

Daemon and Dawson:

"God, I hope I never fall in love."

A little bit surprised by that statement, Dawson watched his twin. "Do really want that?"

"Hell yeah," Daemon replied. "Look at how stupid it's made you."

*****

This book is full of amazing passages and quotes!

One other thing I absolutely loved where all the different POVs. I loved reading from everybody's point of view because you got to know everybody so much more. Brilliant!

*****

Have you read any of the books in the Lux series yet? What did you think? I would love to hear from you!


~~~ GO TEAM #DAEMONTEMPTATION!!! ~~~



No comments:

Post a Comment