Monday, April 30, 2012

Book Club Read #2: "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society"

Has it really been over a month that I have read this book? I cannot believe my post is a month late, and it's not because of the book at all. I really, really enjoyed reading "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows, and am glad I got to discover it for myself, though the name alone is certainly a mouthful.



Goodreads description:

“ I wonder how the book got to Guernsey? Perhaps there is some sort of secret homing instinct in books that brings them to their perfect readers.”
  
January 1946: London is emerging from the shadow of the Second World War, and writer Juliet Ashton is looking for her next book subject. Who could imagine that she would find it in a letter from a man she’s never met, a native of the island of Guernsey, who has come across her name written inside a book by Charles Lamb….

As Juliet and her new correspondent exchange letters, Juliet is drawn into the world of this man and his friends—and what a wonderfully eccentric world it is. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society—born as a spur-of-the-moment alibi when its members were discovered breaking curfew by the Germans occupying their island—boasts a charming, funny, deeply human cast of characters, from pig farmers to phrenologists, literature lovers all.

Juliet begins a remarkable correspondence with the society’s members, learning about their island, their taste in books, and the impact the recent German occupation has had on their lives. Captivated by their stories, she sets sail for Guernsey, and what she finds will change her forever.

Written with warmth and humor as a series of letters, this novel is a celebration of the written word in all its guises, and of finding connection in the most surprising ways.


I didn't know anything about this book when it was chosen as one of our book club reads, but quite a few people said it was a fantastic story with many amazing characters. All this is so true. Like the first book club pick, I probably would have never read this book, and that would have been a shame. Even though it takes place during a very dark and scary time period, it is so light-hearted at times, you can't help but laugh.  All the characters are extremely relatable and they make you wish you could just pack up all your things and move to the island of Guernsey - or if not move, at least go for a long visit. I know I would have loved to be a member of "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society".

I would definitely recommend it to any book lover, no matter which genre they prefer. This is one of those few stories, everybody will enjoy.

My rating: 5 out of 5 stars

*****

Since I didn't finish our April read, I won't be doing an individual post about it, but rather just talk about it right here. We were supposed to read "Galileo's Daughter" by Dave Sobel, but I simply could not get into it, and honestly, I was really relieved when I learned only two people from our group actually finished it. It made me feel a little better, because I hate not finishing a book. I am already certain, however, I will finish this month's book "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho. It sounds like a great, quick read, and I am already looking forward to it, so watch out for my next "Book Club Read" post some time in early June.


No comments:

Post a Comment