Thursday, March 8, 2012

SSRC: Niederwald




It is time for another "Soul Screamers Reading Challenge" post. SSRC is hosted by the wonderful Rachel over at fiktshun, and there is still plenty of time to sign up - simply click on the button to read the rules and sign up.





Rachel Vincent's "Niederwald" is a Soul Screamers short story which you can find in the "Enthralled" anthology.

As far as the plot goes, I will only say that Sabine gets herself and Emma in a little bit of trouble in a small town called Niederwald.

First of, I love the fact it was written from Sabine's perspective. It's always very enlightening to get to know the "bad guy/girl" better. You can see how desperately Sabine wanted to find Nash in the measures she took. I mean the price she had to pay to find him was her most valued possession. Which brings me to the new character Syrie. She is so eerie, dark, and in some degrees even disturbing, she captivates you right away. I love this character and would love to get to know more about her.

I have been wondering though whether there will be any further consequences for Sabine's actions in this story. She did something I cannot really see being left unpunished in some sort of way. Obviously, we haven't come across anything yet, but there are still two books left filled with all kinds of possibilities.

Overall, I really, really enjoyed this short story. It fits perfectly in the main story, and shows a different side to Sabine which might make you like her a little bit more. At least, I liked her more after reading this. There is no doubt, she is still infuriating but you can relate to her in some ways.

My next SSRC post will be about "My Soul to Save". I actually cannot believe there is less than a week left in this month's challenge, and all I have read is about a half a page.

What did you think of "Niederwald"? Has your opinion of Sabine changed (even just a little bit), or are you disliking her even more now? I would love to hear your thoughts and opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment